Hey, it's 2008! And what better way to start it than by participating in a meme. Maggie Fox over at Social Media Group started the year off with a "Eight things you (probably) didn't know about me" post. And then tagged some folks to participate .. yours truly among them.
So, here are my eight things ...
1. I hate participating in tag memes. When I get tagged, I generally behave in a way contrary to the blogosphere and don't participate. But, I thought I should start out 2008 with some good blogkarma. And I offer my sincerest apologies to Todd Defren over at PR Squared who tagged me in his Snackdaddy post back in October and I never responded.
2. I am delighted by Hello Kitty.
3. I am from Texas (yes, I revealed this in last year's "5 Things" meme in which I was tagged by Mitch Joel). When I reveal this to people, they often say "Oh, yeah .. I thought I heard an accent". I tell them to wait until I am tired, angry or drunk - then you REALLY hear my accent.
4. When I immigrated to Canada, it was initially on a student visa. I decided to stay in Canada and it took a while to get my work permit approved. So, for a couple of months, I was on social assistance. It was a pretty dark time. And I learned two lessons: hard work and perseverance do pay off BUT sometimes even that isn't enough and serendipity plays a significant role in the paths of our lives. It makes me appreciate (as Daniel in Microserfs quips) that "often, we're all a paycheque away from a job in telemarketing".
5. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do that pen-twirl thing.
6. This one is for all the PR folks who kinda-sorta
read skim my blog and have been pitching me recently and generally start their emails with "Hi, Kate .. congratulations on your recent nuptials. I wish you and your husband all happiness. Now, about my product ..." Uh, I'm married to a lovely wonderful woman. I'm not just making some kind of weird house-husband joke when I refer to my spouse as my wife. (Yay, Canada!!)
7. I enjoy really complicated board games like Eurorails.
8. I have the 2006 campaign song from the Bloc Québécois in my favourite iTunes mix. "Heureusement, ici, c'est le Bloc". It is so KICKY! Also, I have a little gay-girl crush on Gilles Duceppe.
OK, so .. that's my eight. The best part about doing these is you get to
torture tag others. So, my victims: Todd Defren (hi, Todd!!), Eden Spodek, Mario Parisé, Jenny Bullough, Alexa Clark, Leigh Himel, Connie Crosby (congrats on the Clawbie!), and Lisa Rousseau.