First of all, a big hello to the folks from the High Tech Communicators' Exchange! Michael Fergusson and I spoke there last night on Marketing in the MySpace Era. Michael led off with a heady discussion of the ownership of culture ... how brands can really no longer lay claim to owning what they have created. Users/consumers/customers - whatever you call them - have an expectation that the culture they contribute to (or imbue with meaning) is theirs!
I followed with a presentation on using social media to communicate with customers - how brands and businesses can take advantage of social media to strengthen their relationships and forge new conversations. Presentation Slides & Notes are available.
There were some great questions and I got to meet a number of you last night following the presentation. Thanks to all of you who stopped by: Marina from High Road Communications, Margaret from Sage Software, Angie from Just Systems, Brent from indiv1sual, Nigel the "Tech Writer!", Raj "just Google me", Roger from Safety Authority and Keith of Refrigerative Supply and the Vancouver Dodgeball League. And great to see John Ounpuu -- congrats to John on the birth of his son! Such a wonderful and diverse crowd!
Secondly, Mitch Joel from Twist Image tagged me with the "Five Things Meme" -- five things you don't know about me. So, here goes ...
- I'm originally from Texas
- My thesis topic was Intentionality, Sacredness and Play: Integral Elements in the Philosophy of Ritual (and now I'm in marketing!)
- I've played Dungeons & Dragons for more than 48 hours straight
- I've lived through three tornado touch-downs
- I spent my first night in Toronto handing out condoms at a Blue Rodeo concert.
Photo Credit: Hello by wok